Threatening Encounters in Lucid Dreams

 One very strong association that I have with frightening lucid dreaming is a story written by Franz Kafka called the Metamorphosis. Gregor Samsa awakes after having strange dreams and finds himself transformed into a big, repulsive bug-like being. It takes a while for Gregor and for the reader to recognise that he’s not having a lucid dream, that odd as it seems, he will not suddenly wake up and be human again. I have had lucid dreams like this, caught in some Kafkaesque environment, bizarre humans with bizarre rules, and I try to find a way to get back home, or elsewhere. I wonder how much control we can have in lucid dreams, because not everything is controllable. I know I am dreaming, and I have the capability to detach myself and take the view of an observer to evaluate the situation, then go back into the ’dream-me’, what I decided to do does not create the story I would have anticipated. Can we practice the way we interfere with our dreams? Can we initiate lucid dreaming? I have the habit of setting my alarm early and press the snooze function multiple times before I get up. In between I often have lucid dreams. Whenever the alarm rings I wake up, leave the dream and dive back in into the same dream-scene. Such dreams are a major source of inspiration for me. I just love that surreal feeling they leave on me, with just enough control to keep my head up, but not enough to unravel the mystery of the ending.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Fragmented Bisociation Thought Experiment on Belonging, Being and Becoming

Pro-Environmental Behaviour Change: Motivation, Impact of Stress

Video Games and spatial memory improvement