Video Games and spatial memory improvement

More often we read about the negative aspects of gaming. It’s refreshing to hear something positive. I received a Gameboy when I was 10. I have great memories of the games I played, either by myself or against someone. I have a daughter who is 7 and a son who is 2. I often wonder if I should allow them to play computer games. We are one of the few families that doesn’t have a tablet for the kids to play on. My kids get one hour of TV every day and I think it’s too much. I was a web-designer, studied film, I love animation, movies, I binge watch series and I used to play hours of hours of computer games with my friends. I was a Tekken master, you could not beat me. But my kids get nothing of all that. I feel that it’s much more important for them to go outside, to imagine, to come up with their own games, to read, to be bored, yes to be bored out of their skins, to dream about their day. We love playing lots of games: card games, board games, silly games… When they are older, there will be a world of electronic, dynamic, ultrafast, ultracool, super-mega-intense, mind-blowing gaming experience right at their fingertips. But before they get to that, I hope they have learned to pace themselves. I hope they have experienced enough snow, wind, rain, sand, and sweat that they remember getting grubby and cold. I hope they will remember that books are just as great as an escape than gaming is. I hope they know how to initiate friendships, and sustain uncomfortable situations, and resist swiping away a problem they don’t know the answer to right away. I believe in gaming! I know it’s amazing. But every amazing thing has its own amazing time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Fragmented Bisociation Thought Experiment on Belonging, Being and Becoming

Pro-Environmental Behaviour Change: Motivation, Impact of Stress